Status Effect is a broad term that refers to the any number of ways one is able to hinder their opponents by inflicting a variety of ailments. This is a feature most commonly seen in video games, providing additional options by generating utility outside of sheer damage.
Some examples of status ailments include (but are not limited to):
- Cursing: Curses the opponent to impair them in a wide variety of ways (i.e. lowering parameters, sealing certain abilities e.t.c.).
- Flash Freezing: The ability to quickly freeze one's target solid to prevent their movement and retaliation.
- Mind Manipulation: The ability to invade and wreak havoc on their opponent's thoughts to inflict a variety of ailments, such as charming one's opponent to end their resistance, confusing them so that they attack everything in sight indiscriminately, or terrifying them into submission.
- Paralysis: The ability to prevent one's opponent from coordinating their movements or stopping their movements completely.
- Petrification: Turning the target to restrain their movements if not outright kill them.
- Poison Manipulation: The ability to poison one's target as a means of slowly or rapidly killing them.
- Sleep Inducement: The ability to forcibly put one's opponent to sleep or otherwise render them unconscious
- Time Manipulation: The ability to stop or slow time around one's foes to restrain them.
- Transmutation: Converting the target into something else (i.e. a common toad) to render them powerless.